University of Calgary - Calgary, AB
$70,000 per year - Permanent
Area: Community Health Sciences
Duration: One year
Start Date: September 1, 2017
The Department of Community Health Sciences in the Cumming School of Medicine at the University of Calgary and Research, Innovation, and Analytics at Alberta Health Services are jointly accepting applications for a Health Systems Impact Postdoctoral Fellow.
The specific project that the Health System Impact Fellow will lead focuses on the common and complex problem of chronic heart failure. This project aims to develop computer-assisted, automated electronic health record (EHR) data extraction and analysis tools to be used for near-real-time monitoring of system-level performance in heart failure (HF). This aim will be achieved by implementing data and text mining to develop EHR algorithms. The algorithms enable discovery of free or structured texts which are used to define variables related to HF, using linked EHR and Alberta HEART data (gold standard clinical data). The clinical appropriateness of these algorithms will be assessed through a deliberative process using a clinician review panel. The programing algorithms will be coalesced to generate a computerized, automated tool, and its utility will be tested in EHR data. This project will allow the Fellow to develop or enhance existing skills in linkage and data mining - a skill set now in high demand due to enhanced reliance on big data analytics in health care systems.
- PhD in Health Services Research, Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Computer Science or a related field, completed within the last 5 years
- High level of effective organizational, time management and personal initiative skills
- Strong team player
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to relocate to Calgary, AB for September 1, 2017
Application packages should include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Names and contact information for three references
- Personal statement outlining your interest in the position, relevant experience, and future career goals (2 pages maximum)