The German Cancer Research Center is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With approximately 2,800 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
The Division of Virus-associated Carcinogenesis is seeking a
with focus on pre-clinical in vivo studies and immunology
The Division of Virus-associated Carcinogenesis headed by Prof. Ralf Bartenschlager at the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg focuses on analyzing the molecular and cellular mechanisms responsible for the failure of the immune response to control hepatitis B virus and hepatitis C virus infections and the promotion of liver cancer resulting from persistent infection. A major goal is to establish fully permissive immune-competent mouse models for HBV and HCV to determine the underlying mechanisms leading to persistence, viral immune escape strategies and how chronic infection ultimately leads to liver cancer. To address these questions we are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral candidate with strong experience in mouse models and interest in working on a cross-disciplinary project combining cell biological and immunological research on a medically highly relevant topic.
· Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in immunology, biology or related field with an excellent publication record
· Very strong background and hands-on experience with mouse experiments
· Solid experience in state-of-the-art cell and molecular biology techniques
· Profound knowledge in immunology (innate and adaptive)
· Sound knowledge of tumor biology and in vivo cancer models are highly desirable
· The candidate works accurately, is able to conduct independent research, but also enjoys working in an international and interdisciplinary environment. He/She is willing to advise junior staff
· Good presentation skills and experience in project management (importance of scheduling, deliverables, reporting) will be highly valued
· Fluency in English language (written and spoken) is mandatory; proficiency in German would be a plus
The position is limited to 2 years.
The position can in principle be part-time.